How do I fix the TNS protocol adapter error in Oracle 11g?
How to Fix ORA-12560: TNS: Protocol Adapter Error
- Make sure the windows service is up and running.
- Make sure your ORACLE_SID is set to the instance name you’re trying to connect to. If either one or two are not correct you will get the error as seen below.
How do I fix my ORA-12560?
Set the Oracle system ID (SID) to C:>set oracle_sid=ORCL. Next, run the Net Start command (C:>net start oracleserviceORCL). This should resolve the ORA-12560 error in this situation.
What is a TNS error?
In some Oracle database versions, this error may be called “ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve service name.” The connect identifier is not able to resolve and may be caused by one or more of the following issues: Inability to connect to the repository due to unplanned server and network outages.
Where is the Tnsnames Ora file located?
By default, the tnsnames. ora file is located in the ORACLE_HOME/network/admin directory.
How do I use Sqlplus?
Starting SQL*Plus Command-line
- Open a UNIX or a Windows terminal and enter the SQL*Plus command: sqlplus.
- When prompted, enter your Oracle Database username and password.
- Alternatively, enter the SQL*Plus command in the form: sqlplus username/password.
- SQL*Plus starts and connects to the default database.
What is a protocol adapter?
A Protocol Converter is a device used to convert standard or proprietary protocol of one device to the protocol suitable for the other device or tools to achieve the desired interoperability. The major protocol translation messages involve conversion of data messages, events, commands, and time synchronization.
How do I start the Oracle listener?
To start or stop the listener at the command line:
- Open a command window.
- Follow the steps listed in “Configuring the Operating System Environment Variables .”
- Enter either of the following commands, depending on whether you want to start or stop the listener: lsnrctl start lsnrctl stop.
How do you fix TNS could not resolve the connect identifier specified?
- Make sure that “TNSNAMES” is listed as one of the values of the NAMES. DIRECTORY_PATH parameter in the Oracle Net profile (SQLNET.
- Verify that a TNSNAMES.
- Check that the net service name used as the connect identifier exists in the TNSNAMES.
- Make sure there are no syntax errors anywhere in the TNSNAMES.
When does ora-12560 : TNS : protocol adapter error occur?
ERROR: ORA-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error This problem occurs when your database is not up. By default Oracle services start at windows startup, but they might have been stopped manually by user.
How to start Oracle Database 11g Express Edition?
From START-> select Oracle Database 11g Express Edition ( 11g or what ever your database type.you can find this from All Programs). Then inside this folder there is a DB icon with green color spot. It is the Start Service icon.Click it.Then it will take some seconds and start the service.
What should I do if my Oracle Database does not start?
The major issue might be the oracle database itself may not have started. So, you need to manually go via right click go to properties-> set it to Automatic and press Ok. Then just right click again and start. Make sure your oracle services are running automatically. Just press Win+R.
When does Oracle not allow the listener to startup?
Oracle no longer allows the listener to startup if an invalid hostname or ip address is specified in the invited_nodes list. The listener will not start if any of the hosts or ip addresses are note resolvable.