What can I do with my old china cabinet?
See how we transformed the bottom of these china hutches and repurposed them into a media console, buffet, and sofa table. The top of a china hutch can also be repurposed into a stand-alone cabinet simply by adding legs. Repurpose it into a curio cabinet or a one of a kind bookcase!
How do you modernize a hutch?
How to Update a Hutch or Bookcase
- Back the hutch or bookcase with a different color or pattern.
- Change out the items you have displayed in your hutch.
- Change out or (paint) outdated hardware.
- Paint it.
How can I paint my china cabinet without sanding?
Here are 5 Ways To Paint Furniture Without Sanding:
- USE A MINERAL PAINT. Mineral paint is very similar to chalk style paints in that no prep or prime is required.
- USE MILK PAINT + BONDING AGENT. As I already mentioned, the antique desk in this post was not prep-sanded.
- USE A BONDING PRIMER.
- USE A LIQUID SANDER/DEGLOSSER.
What is the point of a china cabinet?
A china cabinet is a piece of furniture, usually with glass fronts and sides, used to hold and display porcelain (“china”) or other ceramics. Typical china held in such cabinets often includes cups, plates, bowls, and glasses.
What is the difference between a china cabinet and a hutch?
Hutches typically have a freestanding unit that contains cabinets, a display case, or both, that sits atop its bottom half, which is what differentiates it from a china cabinet, which is made in one piece. The hutch’s lower half has a countertop, cabinets or drawers.
How do you reuse old china?
20 Ways To Recycle Upcycle and Repurpose Old China
- Candles. One of the easiest transformations is a candle.
- Lamps, Chandeliers, Candelabra, Nightlight.
- Bird Feeders.
- Paper Flower Bouquet Vessels.
- Napkin Rings.
How can I update my china cabinet without painting it?
Using paper as a china cabinet makeover is as simple as measuring the space twice, cutting out the paper, and using double sided tape to attach it to the back wall of the cabinet. Adding the paper was the easy part of the china cabinet makeover. The hardest part for me was decided how to style the china cabinet.
How do you refinish a china hutch?
How to Refinish a Wood China Cabinet
- Remove the doors, shelving and from the china cabinet.
- Clean the wood with mineral spirits or trisodium phosphate (TSP).
- Sand the wood very lightly, going with the grain.
- Wipe off the wood with a dry cloth to remove the dust.
- Stain the cabinets.
- Install all of the hardware.
Is it possible to do a china cabinet makeover?
Amazing DIY China Cabinet Makeover (in White & French Blue!) Is a brand new china cabinet way out of your price range? Doing your own china cabinet makeover allows you to incorporate your personal style while also saving you a ton of money!
How much does it cost to replace a china cabinet?
Buying a brand new china cabinet can cost you well over $1000 but you can spend less than $100 by refinishing a china cabinet or hutch yourself. Plus, you get to add your own specific style! Now, head out to your local used furniture store or check Facebook Marketplace for a piece that has serious potential.
What do you use to paint a china cabinet?
Using a paintbrush, apply white paint and primer to the entire cabinet, including both sides of the shelves. Remove the painter’s tape while the paint is still wet.
How do you put wallpaper on a china cabinet?
Using a paint roller, apply wallpaper paste to the wallpaper. Affix the wallpaper to the backboard, starting in the center of the board. Using a plastic smoothing tool, smooth the wallpaper.